Stand up for your rights!
While getting ready this morning, I turned on my ipod and this was the first song that I heard. There could not have been a more appropriate song to start my day!
Over the last few weeks, there has been a lot of controversy back and forth over Proposition 8. Yesterday, the people had a chance to raise their voice and express themselves. It was an extremely close race! In fact, I kept waking up in the middle of the night to check the progress. But in the end, proposition 8 has passed, defending the definition of traditional marriage.
I must say I am so happy to see the outcome. I have never felt more proud to be an American than yesterday when I had a chance to cast my ballot! It was so gratifying after such a long battle, whether it had passed or not, I was able to check "yes" and stand up for my right to believe. My right to believe in the family, in a living Prophet and a loving God.
I don't know how many times I have heard, "Yes on 8 means yes on hate!" over the last few weeks. Fortunately, this statement is not true. I know we don't all agree on the issue, but hate is not the issue. Our country was founded on the values that we were able to stand for what we KNOW and BELIEVE to be true. That is the stand that was taken yesterday. I know that I did not cast my ballot to hurt anyone or take away rights. I voted yes because I believe the principles to be true and I will never shy away from those. Standing for what you believe should be commended and not shamed. I would never ask any American or individual to back down from what they believe simply because I have a differing opinion.
The people raised their voice yesterday and stood for what they believed. Let's move on and stop the accusations of hate and recognize it was truly only an exercise of personal freedom. Today I say more than ever I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.
P.S. I found this statement and thought it was wonderfully clear. Enjoy!
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/church-responds-to-same-sex-marriage-votes#continued
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Get Up, Stand Up...
Posted by Mango at 4:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I like your thoughts...how I wish that I could have voted on that! I am so glad it passed as well.
We from all over the rest of the country were all anxiously watching California. We are so thankful for all the hard work everyone did to help pass Prop 8--ya'll were certainly in our prayers!
DITTO and way to go for doing your part!!!
Post a Comment